The Cuphead Show Season 1B Was Dissapointing

 


Yeah what a bold title to start, eh? Simply put, this second half ruined the magic of the show for me in a lot of ways. I will start from the beginning, aka the episode they escape from the prison.

It only takes them one episode to get out of it. And they make a joke about it in one of the later episodes which just removes a lot of tension from the prison in general. That alone gave me a not so good first impression. 



But before I continue with the negative stuff, I would like to actually mention a few things I liked. The animation is just as, if not better than the first half which I thought was great already. Secondly, the way they actually incorporated the bosses in this batch of episodes was stronger here than in the first half. Baroness Von Bon Bon, Werner Werman etc. My favourite was the episode where they connected Brineybeard and Cala Maria into one episode that I don't want to spoil a lot cuz it's legitimately a good episode.


The humor is also both better and worse this time around. They really increased the meme potential with the goofy faces the characters make which really fits this style of a show. 


The bad part is that the overall humor is much worse. Especially with Cuphead and Mugman. I thought their brotherly arguments were very cute and fun at the first half but now they argue in nearly all of the episodes with little to no difference. And all of their character development of' ''taking care of each other'' was mostly forgotten by the writers. Aside from the season finale which we will get into later.


Back on a positive note, Ms. Chalice was used pretty well this time around instead of ''middle season finale the character'' like she previously was. She is a very fun supportive character but like last time, I wish we got more of her.


Now to the bad stuff again. Compared to the first half of the season, the Devil was shafted HARD. Dude only appeared in 2 episodes out of all 13 episodes and one of them was the season finale. They completely missed their mark with him now. And even then, I would have given them a pass after they made him more of a menace compared to the first half of the season. But he is arguably even worse in that regard too. He basically became a comic relief which is pretty bad when you realize he IS the main villain of the show (and the game)


That is... until the season finale. And ohh boy, it's time to talk about that. Back when Netflix showcased one of the episodes of the Cuphead Show 2 months ago, I thought it was like a throwaway episode with funny gags to prepare us for the finale... but then I realized the episode they showed off WAS the season finale. Now, even when not talking about the fact that Netflix basically showcased the season finale of one of their shows 2 months prior, the way this episode goes to show how pathetic the Devil is before showing how ''evil'' he is in the last 2 minutes is kinda bullshit. The ending would have been so much more impactful if we saw the Devil do some evil shit besides this one time he does here. I dunno man, it didn't hit me as much as it did others. I'm still gonna watch S2 when it comes out but I'm currently not interested in the direction they are going.

Also the best episode was Dead Broke and the worst one was Third Brother.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turtle's Expedition: Rescribbled Chapter 25: Rescuing A Nemesis

TE:R Adventures: The Beginnings (2/3)

TE:R Adventures: The Beginnings (3/3)